A downpour at Disney doesn’t have to derail your day in the park. Learn how to make the most of a rainy day at Disney World!
You’d be surprised by the amount of fun you can have at Disney World in the rain!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, we may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
Many people try to plan their Disney vacations around the best weather. But despite being known as The Sunshine State, Florida commonly experiences pop-up showers.
Then there are the occasional thunderstorms, Tropical Storms, and more that shower Disney World with rain.
Just as it’s important to know how to stay cool at Disney World, it’s important to know how to handle the rain!
If it rains during your Walt Disney World visit, your day doesn’t have to be ruined! It’s simple to make some adjustments and be prepared for drizzles rather than having a miserable experience.
With a few tips and tricks, it is possible to have fun during a rainy day at Disney World! That’s why we put together a blog post full of ideas to handle the rain at Walt Disney World.
Enjoying Disney World in the rain
Disney World is known as one of the happiest places on Earth, but vacationing in the rain might seem less fun.
And the Disney cancellation policy doesn’t allow for refunds for inclement weather.
However, Walt Disney World has so many activities that travelers will find that the rain never has to be an issue!
There are some great things to do in and out of the parks that will keep you dry and entertained!
If you’re visiting Disney World during the rainy season, here are some tips to help ensure you have a good time.
Be flexible with your plans
Watching the weather will help you plan when to head to the bus or monorail and when to stay in bed a little later.
Just realize that if it rains, you may need to adjust your itinerary a bit, but you can still enjoy plenty of fun.
Options at your hotel such as shops, places to eat, and the inviting and relaxing atmosphere of your room makes slowing down for weather seem less stressful.
Disney World visitors should pack a small and lightweight Disney rain jacket or disposable ponchos for the people in your travel party.
Check out our list of the best ponchos for Disney World so you can be prepared ahead of time.
But don’t worry, if you forget to pack your rain gear, Disney gift shops always have ponchos and umbrellas for purchase.
Even if rain isn’t necessarily in the forecast, bring some emergency ponchos to Disney World with you, because rain often pops up in Orlando and it’s always better to be safe than sorry!
You might be surprised by how much a poncho will help to keep you dry in the elements, allowing you to continue on with the fun!
It’s also a good idea to choose a backpack for Disney World that’s constructed of water-resistant material.
Pack an extra pair of clothes
It may seem like an obvious tip, but it never hurts to have an extra pair of shoes or clothing on standby for when the rain starts falling.
Take a day of dry clothing with you so that if poor weather conditions put an end to your time at the parks, you will have something nice and comfortable to change into.
Use the lockers
To make your day in the park more enjoyable, find a locker where you can stash extra sets of dry clothes before venturing out.
The lockers are inexpensive and are big enough for some ponchos, an umbrella, or even a pair of Disney Princess rain boots!
No one wants to suffer with wet socks and shoes throughout the day. Preparation is key to getting through a rainy day comfortably.
Take Advantage of Indoor Attractions and Activities
There are many activities indoors that you can enjoy during a rainy day at Disney.
Use the pop-up shower as an opportunity to pop into a gift shop and look for souvenirs, or to collect some Disney Pins.
An afternoon thunderstorm is also a great chance to grab an early dinner at a restaurant, freeing you up to hit the rides later while others are making the dinnertime rush.
You can also dash into the nearest indoor attraction at the theme park to dry off for a bit. Here are a few of our favorites.
Indoor Attractions for a Rainy Day at Magic Kingdom:
- Tomorrowland: Space Mountain, Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover, Monster’s Inc. Laugh Floor, Carousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Fantasyland: Mickey’s PhilharMagic, Peter Pan’s Flight, It’s a Small World, The Journey of the Little Mermaid, and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Frontierland: Country Bear Jamboree
- Liberty Square: Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion
- Adventureland: Pirates of the Caribbean, Enchanted Tiki Room
Indoor Attractions for a Rainy Day at Hollywood Studios
- Muppet Vision 3-D
- Star Wars Launch Bay
- Star Tours
- Toy Story Mania
- Tower of Terror
- Rock ‘n Roller Coaster
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
- Disney Junior Dance Party
- For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Singalong Celebration
- Lighting McQueen’s Racing Academy
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run
Indoor Attractions for a Rainy Day at Epcot
- Spaceship Earth
- Imagination Pavilion: Journey to Imagination with Figment, Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival
- The Land Pavilion: Living with the Land, Soarin’ Around the World, Amazing Planet
- Mission: Space
- The Seas with Nemo and Friends and Seabase
- World Showcase: Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros (Mexico), Frozen Ever After (Norway), Reflections of China (China), The American Adventure (America), Beauty and the Beast Singalong (France), Impressions de France (France)
Indoor Attractions for a Rainy Day at Animal Kingdom
- It’s Tough to be a Bug
- Avatar Flight of Passage
- Na’vi River Journey
- A Celebration of Festival of the Lion King
Don’t let a day at disney world in the rain ruin your vacation
Chances are that it will rain on a normal day at Walt Disney World; however, these showers typically just last for an hour or so.
It’s a great time to take the opportunity to grab a snack or explore the shops before heading back into the park for the rides.
If it rains throughout your Disney visit, there are plenty of indoor activities to keep you busy.
Don’t get discouraged by a little Disney rain. With these rainy day tips on how to handle rain at Disney World, your magical vacation will be weather-proof!
More Disney Planning Resources:
- Best Shoes to Wear to Disney World
- How to Prevent Blisters at Disney World
- Best Misting Fans to Bring to Disney World
- 7 Must-Know Tips for Park Hopping at Disney World
- Disney World Offers a Payment Plan
- Super Cute Fanny Packs for Disney World
Save this article by pinning it to your Disney planning board on Pinterest!